If you are starting a new WordPress blog then the first step of the process is to buy hosting and a domain name. Although this is a fairly straightforward process, if this is your first time purchasing hosting and a domain name, the sheer number of hosting companies, hosting plans, and the hosting terminology itself, can seem a little daunting.
Here at Themeisle, we recommend using Bluehost to host your WordPress website. So, in this how-to guide, we will walk you through how to buy hosting and a domain name from Bluehost, explaining exactly what you need to do to get your hosting account set up. Let’s get started…
- 1 Bluehost: An introduction
- 2 How to buy hosting and a domain name from Bluehost
- 3 Final thoughts on how to buy hosting and a domain name from Bluehost
Bluehost: An introduction
Bluehost is a popular hosting provider that offers an extensive selection of plans, features, and tools to help users host their websites with ease. Founded in 2003, Bluehost now powers over two million websites across the globe.
For beginning bloggers, we recommend the Basic or Plus plans because they offer all the features you need for an affordable price:
How to buy hosting and a domain name from Bluehost
To buy hosting and a domain name from Bluehost, head to the Bluehost WordPress hosting page and click Select under the shared hosting plan you want to purchase:
Bluehost will now walk you through a series of steps that you will need to complete before you can make a purchase.
1. Create a new domain
The first step is to set up your domain name, which is your website’s permanent address on the Internet. For example, our domain name is
With Bluehost, you can either Create a New Domain or Use a Domain that you Own (which you have previously purchased from a third-party domain registrar).
Bluehost gives you a free domain name for your first year, so we’d always recommend using the Create a new domain option to take advantage of that freebie:
Choosing the right domain name for your new website isn’t easy. But don’t worry, we have written plenty on this subject to help you choose the perfect name…
Once you have decided on a domain name, type it into the search function under Create a New Domain and select Next.
If your domain is not available, Bluehost will give a list of similar suggestions, or a selection of different domain extensions that you can use.
Either pick one of Bluehost’s suggestions, or search again using a different domain name.
2. Enter basic account information
Once you have settled on an appropriate domain name, the next step is to create an account with Bluehost. To do this you will need to fill in some personal information, including…
- Business Name (if appropriate)
- Phone Number
- Email Address
Alternatively, you can sign in with Google and allow Bluehost to access your details.
3. Choose billing cycle
Next, you can choose how long you want to purchase hosting for. Typically, you’ll pay lower monthly prices if you commit to a longer period. However, you’ll have a higher up-front price, so you’ll need to choose which option you prefer.
Here are the prices for the Basic plan:
- 12 Months – $4.95 a month ($59.40 total)
- 24 Months – $3.95 a month ($94.80 total)
- 36 Months – $2.75 a month ($99 total)
All of the above are discounted prices, and after the initial term all plans renew at the regular rates.
4. Select any package extras
Next, scroll down the page to Package Extras section. Here you will find a list of extra tools and services that you can purchase alongside your hosting plan. These include…
- Domain Privacy Protection ($11.88 a year) – This service hides your personal information in the WHOIS domain database, preventing it being available to the public. So if you want to keep your info private then this is good ‘extra’ to purchase.
- SiteLock Security ($23.88 a year) – Benefit from basic spam, malware, and blacklist scans, as well as a SiteLock verification certificate that will demonstrate to your customers that you are a reputable and trustworthy business. (Equally, there are numerous WordPress security plugins that you can use on your site – Wordfence being a powerful free option.
- CodeGuard Backup ($2.99 a month) – CodeGuard takes automatic daily backups of your website and restores them in one simple click if needs be. (Alternatively, you can install the UpdraftPlus WordPress plugin if you would like a free backup tool).
- Bluehost SEO Tools ($23.88 a year) – Receive step-by-step instructions on how to improve your site’s SEO, including a detailed marketing report as well as personalized tasks and insights to help your site rank well in the search engines. (If you are looking for a free SEO alternative, Yoast SEO will help you to get started).
- Office 365 Mailbox (Free one month trial) – Access business-class branded email, professional calendars, 24/7 technical support, and many other high-end features that are offered on the Microsoft email platform.
With the potential exception of domain privacy, you shouldn’t feel compelled to purchase any of these extras. Your site will be totally fine without them and, as we explained above, you can find free WordPress plugins to fill the gaps.
5. Enter your payment details
The last step in the process is to enter your payment details.
Then, agree to the Bluehost terms and conditions and, if you are happy with all the above information that you have entered, click on Submit.
Bluehost will now process your payment.
6. Create a password
On the payment confirmation page, Bluehost will ask you to create a password. This will be the password you use to log into your Bluehost hosting account, so make sure it is either memorable or you have made a note of it. We’d recommend using a strong password and storing it in a password manager tool.
Bluehost will now set up your new hosting account.
7. Log into your new Bluehost hosting account
Once your new hosting account has been created, Bluehost will send you an email containing your login details. After receiving the email, open the Bluehost website and click on Login.
Now enter your login details.
Your new Bluehost dashboard will then open. It is here you can manage your account, create new websites, purchase new domains, browse other apps and services, and access your cPanel.
Have a browse of your new dashboard to help you become acquainted with its layout and features. If you have any questions, or would like some help with getting started, simply click on the question mark icon in the top right-hand corner of the dashboard. Bluehost provides an extensive knowledge base packed full of in-depth guides, how-to articles, and a whole Getting Started section, as well as live chat and phone support.
You can also follow our guide to install WordPress on your new hosting.
Final thoughts on how to buy hosting and a domain name from Bluehost
If you are looking to buy hosting and a domain name, then Bluehost is a great option. Extremely affordable, user-friendly, and offering a wide range of features and functionality, Bluehost enables you to quickly and easily sign up for one of their many hosting plans and create a new account.
So where do you go from here? Well, we have plenty of guides to help you with the next steps in the process:
Any questions on how to buy hosting and a domain name with Bluehost? If so, please ask away in the comments below…
5 Essential Tips to Speed Up
Your WordPress Site
Reduce your loading time by even 50-80%
just by following simple tips.
* This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links and then purchase the product, we’ll receive a small fee. No worries though, you’ll still pay the standard amount so there’s no cost on your part.